Saturday, April 18, 2015

Birthday, Running Buddies, and a Lost Cell Phone

Birthday: 67!
       We celebrated my 67th birthday with pizza lunch at the only restaurant in the dusty shopping town 25 km from us, with a volunteer from our group (left) and a volunteer in the newer group who was visited by her husband,  from their home in Alaska.  They were just back from seeing the game in Botswana, at Chobe. 
Both volunteers live near the town where we met them, but the visiting husband had rented a car, so they drove us back to our site, after a big grocery shopping binge - a true birthday celebration!
Running Buddies
      Last week  I started off on my customary run. A slender dark  figure raced out to join me - Bonkhe, age 12,  4th grade last year at the "poorer" school nearby.  We only teach grades 5 and 6, and Bonkhe was very proud to tell us at the end of last school year that his teacher was sure  he would be promoted to grade 5, where we would teach him.  Alas, when the new school year started in January, it turned out he had failed English, which automatically precluded promotion, but he still makes a point of greeting us at school, and around the community.
        Bonkhe kept pace with me on my run 2 weeks ago, and, on our way back, which was slightly uphill, his pace pushed me a little harder than I would have chosen had I been alone.  I do yoga stretches at the mid-point turnaround of the run; I don't know the siSwati word for that, and Bonkhe doesn't really get the point, but he imitates my triginashina (spelling?); the one-legged holding the foot by the butt stretch eludes him.
      When I started my  run earlier this week I hollered for him and he immediately came sprinting to the path, and we ran well together.  I've taken to running shirtless so as not to trash a shirt; they already know I'm odd, so going around shirtless can't be that much of a shock by now.  1/2 way through the run Bonkhe pulled off his shirt, but he was careful to put it back on when he returned to his homestead.
      Oh, perhaps I should mention, the first time Bonke ran with me, he ran barefoot.  I run in expensive REI "trail running" shoes, more like low cut boots, now a little bedraggled.  And I've used pliers to pull an acacia thorn out of those boots, that came all the way through to my foot.  This week when Bonkhe ran out to join me he was running in crocs, more like bedroom slippers.  Seemed to work just fine for him.
Here he is with other kids from the surrounding homesteads. 
CONDOM PRACTICE AT THE HIGH SCHOOL
             Last week, with the help of one of the smart young science teachers at our high school,  we  arranged to give condom use demonstrations to each of the science classes - she thought it important to get to the students before they went on break.  Two girls have dropped out in the past 2 weeks because of pregnancy - pregnant girls are not allowed to attend school.   We reached all 420 students at the high school, giving all the boys a chance to put male condom on model penises (slightly larger than life size (at least, I think so!)), and the girls a chance to do that one, and the same for a female condom on our model of female genitalia.
           It is well we now have 2 weeks of break;  you relate differently to a student after you explain to him or her that after climax they must firmly grasp the base of the penis while it is still stiff, holding onto the condom, now full, before sliding it out of the vagina, to be sure the condom does not slip off.    We got some questions that seemed to have been searching for an answer for a long time, and some students were very serious; others were silly, the way teenagers working with plastic penises and vulvas are bound to be.
       Here are our models in our dish rack after we cleaned them up after last use.
THE PURLOINED CELL PHONE
         We each teach a section of Form 4 (junior) English language once a week at the local high school, and we assigned them homework of taking a book out of the school library and reading it and writing a report over break.  Here they are thronging the library. 
PIC
Unfortunately I did not keep watch over my backpack and my cell phone, with 2 years' worth of phone numbers, has disappeared.  This is a common occurrence, so, as instructed, a day later I filed a police report in our local shopping town, 15 miles away.
     The police were very responsive and helpful, and quickly took a statement, but whoever trains the Royal Swazi Police has been reading too many British detective novels;  I don't recall saying, as part of my statement "On that fateful day" (seriously) nor would my description of what I wrote on the board in my Form 4 section's room ("I lost my cell phone in the library - there's a reward!") have been phrased that I "immediately raised an alarm."

      As instructed we went from the police station to the phone company office nearby, who sent us back to the police station for another paper, which we obtained after paying about $US 1 at the nearby Department of Revenue office and taking that receipt back to the police, who now said we needed to go to Manzini, to the main phone company office, to initiate tracing the phone.  When we got there 2 days later the phone company said we needed another kind of paper from the police back at the station where we'd filed the original report. We tried the Manzini police, who also said to go back to our shopping town for that paper and bring it back to the Manzini phone company.  But we're giving up on that official process; the phone company estimates it takes months to trace a phone, once the paperwork is in order!  A teacher at the high school is going to call the girlfriend of another teacher, because the girlfriend works at the phone company and, with information from the police report, may be able to get the tracing done in a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment