Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Reading and teaching


We were at the public primary school earlier this week, and because exams are done (there are 2 more weeks of school, but the teachers show up and grade exams, and the students pretty much do nothing), we had an easy audience. Katherine read Roald Dahl's The Fantastic Mr. Fox, which I think our children enjoyed. These kids ate it up. We've learned that, among the things which we don't want to leave home without (TP, camera, small binoculars, notebook to record yet another polysyllabic name), one is a book we can read to 5 to 15 year olds (not easy to find in these spare libraries) should we have some downtime around one of our 3 schools. They push in on us, as those in back press in to see the pictures.

So we did the same during the ½ hour mid-morning break at the more prosperous “Railway” (subsidized by the Railway) school, where the students are way more advanced. As I'd hold the book up to show the pictures, the kids would start reading aloud the next part, but I would do the fun voices myself; my ogre from Jack & the Beanstalk (“Fe, fi, fo fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman”) got especially good reviews. Haven't had so much fun since I played Santa for neighbor Molly's children, and frightened most of them, till I was told I had to dial it back.

Then we team taught (but mostly Nomphumelelo) the Railway 6th grade a lesson in “self-esteem”, which is thought to be important in making good choices, especially for girls. When they got a little rowdy, she did her piercing whistle – boy did that get their attention. My outing with them last week to the 7th grade farewell pizza party helped me get to know them better than before, which makes this more fun, seeing the different personalities.
 

Phumi had them write 10 sentences about themselves, describing themselves, each beginning “I am . . . .” Some were just borrowed from our discussion, others were quite moving. “I am lonely.” “I have no friends.” Others very encouraging: “I am smart.” Many had picked up the Girls, Inc. motto from Phumi: Strong, Smart and Bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment