Saturday, July 6, 2013

short text blog - caught some internet

4th blog – text

            This is a “Mark and Katherine” text blog; can't tell when we'll be able to send it, but we'll have it teed up for when we have a few minutes at some place that may have a little connection.

MARK:         
            Things I've liked:
            Yesterday in a discussion of Swazi vs American culture one of the older teachers (there are 8 teachers hired to bring us through language training) whom I like a lot said one thing he liked in American culture is the fondness older couple show for each other.  There's only one other couple – in their 20s – so he meant us.  This adventure has brought our relationship to a whole new level – after 39 years!  I could not do this without Katherine. Not just the technology, but also she hears masses of confusing contradictory and Swazi-accented instructions and remembers and makes sense of them.  She is (mostly) steady and calm.  She could do this without me, although she might not.  We often think of the mainly lonely young American women in huts in villages around us.  I can name 2 who cried themselves to sleep the first night in our training villages.
            I also like being with the group.  Generally, one of the serendipities of PC service is the people.  PCVs (current volunteers) and RPCVs (returned PCVs) tend to be interesting, lively people with values I share.  As I've gotten to know this group better I've found interesting backgrounds, wits, skills, strengths and poise I had not suspected on first inspection in Philadelphia 10 days ago.

            Generally speaking I've liked the instructional program, although it does go on.  And on. And . . .  The whole summer!  But the programs on diversity and inclusion, Swazi history, Swazi government, dealing with stress, and even the endless instruction on dealing with the endless African parasites have been well presented, and thoughtfully prepared.
      oops - no time for kuf - got to go.  pix crash the system


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for taking a little time (even when rushed) to keep is all a part of your adventure. Pictures are worth a lot.
    (FYI -- Andy Murray just defeated Novak Djokovic in men's finals at Wimbledon. 1st Brit. to win since 1936. Especially exciting final set.)
    Cheers, Bob & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear M&K! Amazing posts! I'm so glad you have each other:). Boys are at sleepover camp on the CO/Wyoming border. Blog pics from camp show only smiles on their faces. Mac and I are loving close Lily time. Been super hot here, storms today, whew! Love and hugs! Molly and clan xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again M&K! The boys came home today from camp. James really liked it, Jackie doesn't want to go back. Homesick and said they did the same things over and over. Spoiled! "All we did was work" They didn't take one shower and wore the same 2 sets of clothes the whole time! Their feet were black. I threw away their socks:). I said, "it looked like u were having fun in the pics.". They said, "they said smile.". Ha! Let me know if I write u too much. Just making u feel at home. Love you! Molly

    ReplyDelete